If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a thousand times and will hear it again. Daily oral hygiene habits — flossing, brushing, and mouthwash — coupled with dental checkups every six months are essential. It’s all true. But here’s another truth. Not even those essential steps are enough to prevent plaque, stains, and tartar from building up on your teeth. While there is a huge menu of cosmetic dentistry options available to help improve the appearance of your teeth, here’s one more essential and annual step to take — having your teeth professionally cleaned by a dental hygienist at a dental clinic in Palm Beach Gardens.
What are plaque and tartar?
Plaque is a film of bacteria that grows on all surfaces of your teeth and along your gums. When plaque is left on your teeth, it can cause cavities, gingivitis, tooth decay, and periodontitis.
Tartar is formed when plaque mixes with your saliva. The tartar will stain your teeth with crusty deposits. The longer you leave tartar on your teeth, the harder it will be to remove new plaque.
Professional dental cleaning in Palm Beach Gardens by a hygienist at a dental clinic near you is not a substitute for good oral hygiene habits but can remove plaque and tartar from your teeth and leave the cleaner, whiter, and brighter in as little as 30 to 60 minutes.
What is the process of professional dental cleaning?
- Your hygienist will use sterilized tools such as an ultrasonic brush and dental mirror to carefully remove the tartar from your teeth.
- The ultrasonic tool provides mild vibrations to loosen large pieces of tartar.
- Your hygienist will then use a scaler to remove smaller bits of tartar from your teeth manually.
- After the tartar and plaque have been removed, your teeth will be polished with a polishing device.
- Lastly, you will be given a fluoride treatment to protect your teeth from tartar and plaque. You will place these trays in your mouth for thirty seconds.
Does professional dental cleaning hurt?
Generally, when you receive teeth cleaning from a dental clinic in Palm Beach Gardens, it’s painless. The vibrations may feel a bit unusual at first but will cause no pain.
How often should you get a dental cleaning in Palm Beach Gardens?
Our dentists recommend receiving professional teeth cleaning every six months to a year. Remember to maintain your oral health by brushing and flossing daily in-between visits. Our dental clinic in Palm Beach Gardens offers professional dental cleanings to aid with your diligent oral hygiene routine to prevent periodontal disease.
Are you interested in receiving professional teeth cleaning to protect your teeth from plaque and periodontal disease? Consider adding dental cleanings to your oral care routine. Contact our dental office in Palm Beach Gardens to schedule an appointment.