Root canal therapy or endodontic therapy is an effective and safe treatment used for teeth that have an inflamed or infected pulp. During root canal treatment, your dentist in Palm Beach Gardens will remove the infected or injured pulp from inside the crown and the roots of a tooth. Once cleaned, the canal is disinfected, shaped and sealed with gutta-percha (natural rubber-like material) to prevent future infection. A successful root canal treatment prevents the need for dental extraction. Being able to keep your tooth means your adjacent teeth will not shift out of alignment and cause jaw problems. When you save a natural tooth, you will not need to replace it with an artificial tooth.
Maintaining and caring for your oral health is a lifelong commitment. The most effective way to prevent the need for root canal treatment is to follow a good oral hygiene routine; this includes brushing twice daily, flossing once a day and visiting your dentist regularly.
The Root Canal Procedure
Root canal treatment can take one or two appointments to complete. The process includes the following steps:
1. Your dentist will administer a local anesthetic (freezing).
2. To protect your tooth from the bacteria in your saliva during the procedure, your dentist will place a rubber dam around the treated tooth.
3. Your dentist in Palm Beach Gardens will create an opening in your tooth to access the root canal system and the damaged pulp.
4. Your dentist will remove the pulp using very fine dental instruments; this involves cleaning and enlarging the root canal system.
5. Once the canal has been cleaned, your dentist will fill and seal the opening of your tooth with a temporary or permanent filling.
Your tooth may be tender for one to two weeks following root canal treatment.
Looking for root canal therapy near you? Habashy Dental offers root canal therapy in Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418.